Living in Steamboat, I wanted to be the first to buy into the community owned solar “garden” being installed near Craig, CO close to the end of the year. Sadly, I was their second customer, someone (Jeff Troeger) beat me to it! Kudos to Yampa Valley Electric Association for bringing this opportunity to our community through their partnership with Clean Energy Collective (CEC) out of Boulder.
- The array is a 577kw system located in the city of Craig, CO
- Owners will earn 10cents per kilowatt (YVEA customers currently pay 8c), and rate will increase as YVEA’s cost of energy increases
- Buyers can not purchase more than 120% of their usage and no one buyer can own more than 60% of the array (to make it a community array)
- Easy monitoring and awareness (iPhone apps!)
- A business that uses 125,000 kwh per year would save 4 million lbs of CO2, 4.5 million auto miles, 6000 trees, and over $29,000 (for 290 panels) in the first year!
- Only 25% of rooftops are suited for solar, this array is perfectly situated for maximum productivity
- Array will break ground for construction upon winter’s melting
- Currently 20% sold
- Minimum purchase: 1 panel