Multiple Routt County area nonprofit organizations, businesses and groups have joined forces for the Spare the Air non-idling education initiative launching summer 2012. Spare the Air will help inform the community and visitors about the health and air quality hazards of unnecessary vehicle idling to protect our clean air.
Some facts about idling: View the full fact sheet
- 1 minute of idling produces more carbon monoxide than 3 packs of cigarettes.
- 1 hour of idling burns a gallon of fuel.
- Depending on the size of your tank, you could be wasting $40-115 annually on idling.
- Excessive idling can be hard on your engine because it isn’t working at peak operating temperature.
- Excessive exposure to air pollution can damage developing lungs.
- Modern engines need no more than 30 seconds of idling on winter days before starting to drive.
- Read how idling negatively effects children’s health here.
January 2013 Update: Supporting businesses are putting up signs!
Spare the Air has been well received with more than 20 sponsors or partners signed up so far. We have distributed more than 80 signs so far and would estimate that 2/3 of those signs have been installed already. View the partners list here. Work with your neighbors with this flyer.
Yampa Valley Medical Center is a sponsor of the community-wide non-idling education campaign Spare the Air. Respiratory therapist Steve Fowler (left), with hospital communications manager Rosie Kern, advises that vehicle exhaust is not good for developing lungs.
The team at Backdoor Sports, including owner Peter VanDeCarr (left) and staff member John Fairbairn, is one of 13 current local sponsors or partners for the Spare the Air community-wide non-idling education campaign.
To get one of these $12 signs in your airspace, please contact Suzie Romig at 367-1950 or email@example.com
Colorado Idling Ordinances:
CRS 42-14-106 “Violation of Diesel Idling Standards”, which is a class B
traffic infraction and carries a total fine of $150 + $21 surcharge.
CRS 42-4-1206 “Failed to lock Ignition of/Remove Key from/Parked Vehicle”,
which is also a class B traffic infraction and caries a fine of $15 and $7