Creating a Culture of Sustainability in Schools
The goal of YVSC’s Sustainable Schools program is to create a culture of sustainability in Routt County schools. As part of the Sustainable Schools program, YVSC’s Energy Education is helping lay the foundation for the next generation to meet perhaps their single most important challenge—the need to develop cheap, abundant, clean energy. Our ongoing energy education in Steamboat Springs schools complements state education standards, as well as the work of other nonprofits, and reinforces energy conservation behaviors throughout the school year.
Since 2010 Sustainable School projects have included:
1. replacing Styrofoam trays with reusable plates in the elementary and middle schools;
2. making school events zero waste;
3. promoting the use of reusable water bottles with a 120-gallon drinking water tank used at school, community, and sporting events; and
4. providing educational support in the schools for other YVSC events and programs, such as Earth Hour, Every Day is Earth Day, and ReTree Steamboat.
Annual SS Events
Paperless Day (Nov)
Energy Education Take-Charge Challenge (Jan-Feb)
All Schools Youth Eco Summit (March 23, 4:00-6:3pm)
Earth Hour (March 23, 8:30-9:30pm)
Earth Day/Zero Waste Day (April 19)
ReTree in the Schools (Mid May)
Clean out the Classroom (Last week of school)
SS in the News
Strawberry Park Elementary makes headlines
Partnering with schools to make sustainability a way of life is a key component of Yampa Valley Sustainability Council’s (YVSC’s) work to advance environmental, economic and social sustainability for current and future generations. YVSC is seeking sponsors to help off set costs associated with the Sustainable Schools program. As a sponsor of Sustainable Schools, your financial contribution will go toward the zero waste events and the educational programming at the schools. In return for your sponsorship contribution, your business will receive the following marketing opportunities and visibility at events and in the community, as well as the satisfaction of supporting YVSC and its work to promote sustainability in the Yampa Valley.
For more information or to help support the Sustainable Schools Program email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Sustainable Schools supported more than 65 Zero Waste events since 2010.
• Replacing the Styrofoam trays at the elementary and middle schools has reduced the lunchroom trash by 180 gallons a day!
• Our Water Monsters team provided over 600 gallons of water for events this past summer, eliminating the need for 6,400 12 oz single-use bottled water.
• Through Sustainable Schools programming, more than 1,500 kids participate in YVSC events in the school year.
Sustainable Schools 2013 Sponsors