Creating a Culture of Sustainability in Schools
On this page
SS has facilitated
SS in the news
What is the Sustainable Schools Program?
The goal of YVSC’s Sustainable Schools Program is to promote sustainability in Routt County schools. Our focus is to not only educate the school community about sustainability but, working with the environmental and youth organizations in the county, motivate students to become actively involved in sustainability at school and in their community. The program works to foster intentional stewardship in schools across Routt County through hands-on projects that complement state education standards such as tree planting, energy conservation, and waste reduction. We currently have representatives from the Steamboat Springs School District, South Routt School District, North Routt Community Charter School, Steamboat Mountain School and Emerald Mountain School. Our government and nonprofit partners include Yampatika, Colorado State Forest Service, Colorado Parks and Wildlife, Rocky Mountain Youth Corps/Service Learning Corps, Book Trails, Routt County Youth Services Coalition, Boys Scouts, and Community Youth Corps.
Since 2010 Sustainable School has facilitated
• the creation of student-led Green Teams in 6 Steamboat schools
• replacing Styrofoam trays with reusable plates in the elementary and middle schools
• helping more than 20 school events “Go Zero” annually
• engaging more than 70 students annually in ReTree efforts.
• reducing the use of single-use plastic water bottles with our 120-gallon drinking water tank at school, community and sporting events
• providing educational support in the schools for Earth Hour, Every Day is Earth Day, and ReTree Steamboat
• more than 1,500 students participate in YVSC events during the school year
Annual SS Events
• Paperless Days
• All Schools Youth Eco Summit
• Energy Education Take-Charge Challenge
• Earth Hour
• Earth Day/Zero Waste Day
• ReTree in the schools (last week of week of May)
• Clean out the Classroom (week of June)
SS in the News
• New CMC Food Club reducing campus waste (Steamboat Today December 21, 2015)
• Strawberry Park Elementary makes headlines
• Green team students in active role with environmental issues (Steamboat Today June 6, 2014)
• Sustainable Schools has supported 20-30 Zero Waste events per school year since 2010.
• Replacing the Styrofoam trays at the elementary and middle schools has reduced the lunchroom trash by 180 gallons a day.
• Our Water Monsters team provided over 600 gallons of water for events this past summer, eliminating the need for 6,400 12 oz single-use bottled water.
• Through Sustainable Schools programming, more than 1,500 kids participate in YVSC events in the school year.
Community Service Learning
Of all of the Sustainable Schools programs, the most rewarding is the community service learning. Through School Green Teams and annual events – Youth Eco-Summit, Earth Hour, and ReTree – Sustainable Schools works to promote student communication about sustainability and empower students to become active in their schools and community. In the 2012-2013 school year, more than 300 students, from 3rd to 12th grade participated in community service learning through Sustainable School programs.
Community Service Learning Objectives
• Foster increased student involvement in Green Teams in at least 8 schools in Routt County
• Engage 40 student participants in the Youth Eco-Summit
• Support schools in Earth Hour activities, emphasizing school and home activities that reduce our carbon footprint
• Engage at least 100 youth volunteers in planting trees for ReTree events
• Engage youth organizations in the stewardship and long-term monitoring of the newly planted trees
Partnering with schools to make sustainability a way of life is a key component of Yampa Valley Sustainability Council’s work to advance environmental, economic and social sustainability for current and future generations. YVSC is seeking sponsors to help offset costs associated with the Sustainable Schools program. As a sponsor of Sustainable Schools, your financial contribution will go toward the zero waste events and the educational programming at the schools. In return for your sponsorship contribution, your business will receive the following marketing opportunities and visibility at events and in the community, as well as the satisfaction of supporting YVSC and its work to promote sustainability in the Yampa Valley.
For more information or to help support the Sustainable Schools Program email firstname.lastname@example.org